The aim of this policy is to support and encourage the managed use of Jamaica's marine resources to raise output of marine food products for domestic consumption and for export, and to generate. Local employment in communities that have traditionally relied upon the sea. The policy therefore speaks to:
- Establishing designated areas for mariculture;
- Exercising greater control over mariculture operations;
- Developing the economic potential of mariculture;
- Protecting the environment from the harmful effects of mariculture by issuing permits based on appropriate environmental assessments, requiring an environmental assessment by the Permit and Licence System;
- Increasing public awareness of the benefits of mariculture as an alternative or supplement to the capture fishery, and as a useful tool for resource management.