- To create and increase national awareness on ozone depleting substances
- To prepare annual reports on the consumption of ODSs in Jamaica
- To facilitate timely phase out of ODS consumption through the implementation of projects through assistance from the Multilateral Secretariat Fund.
- To collaborate with the relevant ministries and agencies with respect to the establishment of policy instruments and relevant legislation concerning controls on ODS.
The country is also on a path to phase out the alternatives to CFCs and Hydrofluorocarbons (HCFCs) which are also ODS. This work is being done in collaboration with the UNEP and UNDP. More recently, Jamaica agreed to work with the UNDP to ratify the Kigali Amendment to phase down Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), which are not ODS, but are powerful greenhouse gases which cause global warming. Critical to sustaining the excellent compliance record with the Montreal Protocol is the execution of three projects:
- The Institutional Strengthening Project (ISP)
- The Hydrochlorofluorocarbon Phase Out Management Plan (HPMP)
- The Ratification of the Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol